The True Story

Before there was barbieboy07, and sexi lexi there was Brian.
This is Brian's story. The truth, the REAL truth of who I am, and what I've done, and most importantly who I want to be.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Definition of Manhood

This week was good. I got through the first 4 chapters of "The resolution for men". After working 40 hours this week and taking care of things at home I'd say that is close to a miracle. The last chapter I read talked about not only stepping up to manhood but really getting into detail about what the bible says about being a man.
There are several attributes of God that He wants us to strive for to become men of God. Some are pretty self explanatory but I was surprised by others. Like the first one is the definition of manhood which is explained in Leviticus 27:3, God recognizes an adult male as any man 20 years of age or older. I never knew what made you a man, other than being able to financially take care of yourself and family. I assumed it was mostly dependant on that. I found out that men are held to a higher standard than what society tells us. We have to accept our masculinity, (a problem of mine for a LONG time) speak and act with maturity(something I still struggle with) By holding on to childish things, and fooling around when I need to "man up" and let go of silly behavior. A man should also embrace responsibility, God put Adam in the garden to "dress and keep it" keeping him responsible over what He saw was good. Gen 2:15. A man should of course function independently of his parents and have the courage and strength to lead a family faithfully. Another point I was surprised at, the bible does not say that every man should have a family, but that he should be ready to lead. 1 cor 7:7. Recognizing our accountability as an image bearer of God is important as well. It is supported in that God created man in his image (for a reason) and we need to uphold that image (inwardly and outwardly) always. We must always strive for righteousness, and even when we fall, (which I do) we will have the courage and wisdom to confess this to God and ask him for help. I'm really loving this book and everything I'm learning from it, it is a challenge to realize that you have fallen short, but it is a blessing knowing that God loves me and wants me to succeed and will forgive and help me through anything.

No comments: